Vascular disease can strike anyone, at any age, at any time. And it often strikes without warning... symptoms may not appear until it is limb or life threatening.
Important: If an emergency arises, get medical treatment immediately — Dial 911 — especially if you experience loss of vision, slurred speech, extreme dizziness or confusion, weakness in a limb, or severe chest or abdominal pain. Quick action can save your life.
Here's what you can do to reduce the risk of a major disability or even death:
- Do not smoke or use any tobacco products.
- Adopt healthy eating habits.
- Exercise regularly.
- Reduce high blood pressure.
- Keep your cholesterol levels under control.
- If you are diabetic, control your blood sugar level.
- Reduce stress.
- Communicate your family health history to your doctor, particularly if a blood relative had poor circulation, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or cardiovascular disease.
- Get regular physical examinations from your doctor.